OUR COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
SCOPE OF PRIVACY
This Policy applies to Dexter and its collection, use and disclosure of personal information relating to its associates.
This Policy does not impose any limits on the collection, use or disclosure of the following information by Dexter:
- Your business contact information;
- Your work product information; and
- Certain publicly available information.
Dexter has designated a Privacy Officer who is responsible for Dexter’s compliance with this Policy. The Privacy Officer may be contacted as described below.
When collecting personal information, Dexter will state the purpose of collection and will provide, on request, contact information for the Privacy Officer who can answer questions about the collection.
Dexter collects, uses and discloses personal information for purposes authorized or required by law and for the following reasons:
- To make decisions about remunerating, awarding/recognizing;
- To respond to any medical emergencies;
- To arrange and administer medical, dental, insurance and other benefits and to meet the requirements of benefits providers
- To process and administer payroll and meet regulatory and legal requirements relating to same (for example, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency requirements);
- To determine, administer and document training, educational and licensing requirements;
- To maintain appropriate employee/employer communication;
- To process expense claims;
- To verify information provided by or about an associate which is necessary to manage and administer the employment relationship;
- To monitor, document, assess and address associate adherence to policies and address other security and internal control matters;
- Generally to manage your employment relationship
The above collections, uses and disclosures are a necessary part of your relationship with Dexter.
When personal information that has been collected is to be used for a purpose not previously identified, Dexter will identify the new purpose and obtain your consent unless the use is authorized or required by law.
LIMITS ON COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Dexter will not collect personal information indiscriminately and will limit collection of personal information to that which is reasonable and necessary to establish or manage your employment and which is reasonable and necessary for the purposes consented to by you. Dexter will also collect personal information as authorized by law.
LIMITS FOR USING, DISCLOSING, AND RETAINING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information will only be used or disclosed for the purposes set out above and as authorized by law.
Dexter will keep personal information used to make decisions affecting you for at least one year after using it to make the decision.
Dexter will destroy, erase or make anonymous documents or other records containing personal information as soon as it is reasonable to assume that the original purpose is no longer being served by retention of the information and retention is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
Dexter will take due care when destroying personal information so as to prevent unauthorized access to the information.
Dexter will make a reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information it is using or disclosing is accurate and complete.
If you demonstrate the inaccuracy or incompleteness of personal information, Dexter will amend the information as required. If appropriate, Dexter will send the amended information to third parties to whom the information has been disclosed.
When a challenge regarding the accuracy of personal information is not resolved to your satisfaction, Dexter will annotate the personal information under its control with a note that the correction was requested but not made.
SAFEGUARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Dexter protects the personal information in its custody or control by making reasonable security arrangements to prevent unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, coping, modifications, disposal or similar risks.
Dexter will take reasonable steps, through contractual or other reasonable means, to ensure that a comparable level of personal information protection is implemented by the suppliers and agents who assist in providing services to you or to Dexter. Some specific safeguards include:
- Organizational measures such as restricting associate access to files and databases as appropriate;
- Electronic measures such as passwords and firewalls; and
- Investigative measures where Dexter has reasonable grounds to believe that personal information is being inappropriately collected, used or disclosed.
Note that confidentiality and security are not assured when information is transmitted through email or other wireless communication.
You have a right to access your personal information held by Dexter.
Upon written request and authentication of your identity, Dexter will provide you with your personal information under its control. Dexter will also give you information about the ways in which that information is being used and a description of the individuals and organizations to whom that information has been disclosed.
Dexter will make the information available within 30 days or provide written notice where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
In some situations, Dexter may not be able to provide access to certain personal information (e.g. if disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual, the personal information is protected by solicitor/client privilege, the information was collected for the purposes of an investigation or where disclosure of the information would reveal confidential commercial information that could harm the competitive position of Dexter). Dexter may also be prevented by law from providing access to certain personal information.
Where an access request in refused, Dexter will notify you in writing, document the reasons for refusal and outline further steps which are available to you.
Dexter will, on request, provide information regarding its complaint procedures.
Any inquiries, complaints or questions regarding this Policy should be directed in writing to the appropriate Dexter Privacy Officer.